About Me

My photo
Princeton, New Jersey, United States
Breathing life through words for all to inhale. Forged on city streets, and seasoned with God's love....... Breathe in.....Again. Relax and enjoy my urban perspectives.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I and I

Once the smoke clears I will still be
Upright and strong
With the corpses of disbelievers at my feet
With or without you
I will rise
As the son of a King

From the womb of a Harlem Queen
Forged with an iron mallet
Struck on hot steel
Cured with ancestor's blood
To mark my path




I am a black rose
Growing out of city pavement
Spat upon and stepped on
By passers by
Beaten by all four seasons
Standing upright and strong
Still

Alive to thrive
In the light of hope and love
A peaceful warrior
Still believing in dreams
Regardless of your opinion
I am

The nurturer of children
Kissing boo-boos and broken hearts
Touching with seasoned sensitivity
With humble but hungry strides

Spitting fire if tread upon
Dismantling threats with my bare hands
Eliminating their existence
With forceful measure
Fighting for the right to be

I am fire and ice
Ying and yang
Lover and fighter
Healer of hearts
Passion unbridled
At both ends of the spectrum
Centered and balanced
By the love of Allah



© 2010 Keith Horton

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on creating a blog, FINALLY!! and this is great inspiration for me to post more poems in my blog. I haven't posted since June so today thanks to you ;) I decided to get with the program again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you......... I had a friend walk me through the process. You forget....I'm new to this. It's here now, and welcome....I'm glad that you are as well :)

    ReplyDelete